Trainee Building Surveyor / Inspector
Tyne & Wear
Trainee Building Inspector / Building Surveyor
North East (Sunderland, Gateshead)
£29,000 - £37,000 + excellent benefits + Training
My client is an industry leading provider of structural insurance warranty, with an international presence and a respected brand. Due to continued growth, they are now looking for a trainee Building Inspector or Building Surveyor to join their expanding team in a home-based role covering the North East area.
For these roles we will consider Site Managers providing you have at least NVQ Level 4 or HNC/ONC and would like to achieve your chartership CIOB status, progressing to CABE.
The stakeholder will be responsible for providing site inspection and technical building and construction expertise relating to the risk management of construction sites registered for the company’s warranty schemes.
Overview of Responsibilities
Duties of the post include, but are not limited to:
- Inspecting homes being constructed and / or converted, working closely with Developers and Builders to ensure as far as is reasonably possible the works are in accordance with the Technical Manual and Building Regulations.
- Effectively self-manage, by forward planning own workload, to provide a responsive, helpful and professional service whilst maximising time spent on site.
- Recording inspection details on the data base and communicating comments to customers.
- Carry out Developer assessments at the completion of projects.
- Ongoing liaison with Surveyors and Management on technical matters – to ensure that standards are being maintained and procedures adhered to.
- Ongoing liaison with Developers / Clients / Builders, offering technical advice and guidance.
- Provide advice to line Manager on technical areas so that team members are fully informed when dealing with potential clients.
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably required.
- Ensure inspections target a zero claims ratio.
Experience and Skills Required
- Part / Full member of professional body. RICS, CIOB or CABE preferred but not essential
- Minimum Grades accepted: HNC/HND or (S)NVQ Level 4 in a construction related discipline
- Relevant experience within building construction.
- An understanding of regulatory controls.
- Requires basic understanding of general insurance principals and terminology desirable.
- Ability to undertake site inspections to assess both quality and the cause/effect of building defects.
- Commercial awareness and ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to create not only good working relationships with other construction professionals but to be able to deal effectively with members of the public.
- The ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload within agreed parameters.
- Working knowledge of MS Outlook (email), MS Word, MS Excel and proven ability to use of hand held data logging hardware / software. (Not essential but preferable).
- Demonstrable ability to use own initiative.
- Ability to motivate self and influence others.
- Excellent Customer Services skills and experience of Relationship Management.
- Flexible in personal approach.
About ATS Recruitment
ATS Recruitment are a specialist agency supplying skilled candidates into the engineering and construction industries on both a permanent and contract basis.
We are extremely experienced and knowledgeable about the sectors we recruit into and have several large national (UK) and international clients who repeatedly use our services.